Free format submission
Your time is valuable and should be spent on your research, not re-typing reference lists. Free format submission helps make getting your manuscript ready to submit easier and faster.
If you submit to a journal that offers free format, either directly or by accepting an invitation to transfer your manuscript to that journal, you don’t need to worry about formatting requirements.
You can submit your manuscript in the format of your choice, and Wiley will update the formatting for you into journal style when your manuscript is accepted for publication. Nearly 500 journals published by Wiley offer free format submission.
How does free format work?
Follow these steps when directly submitting your manuscript to a journal with free format submission.
If you accept a transfer to a journal that offers free format, a new submission will be started for you and your manuscript files and details transferred to your chosen journal. You will have the opportunity to make revisions, but you do not need to reformat before finalizing your submission.
- Read your chosen journal’s author guidelines on their homepage, but you do not need to reformat before finalizing your submission.
- Format your manuscript and your references in the style or format you’d prefer. Please confirm the format you’ve chosen is consistent throughout.
- References should include: author(s) name(s), journal title/book title, article title (where required), year of publication, volume & issue/book chapter, and pagination. Including the DOI is highly encouraged.
- Be sure to include all the required sections for the manuscript.
- These may include Abstract, Keywords, Introduction, Materials & Methods, Results, Conclusions, and Artwork/Tables with captions. You should also include conflict of interest disclosures and other ethics statements as appropriate
for the manuscript type.
- Go to your chosen journal's submission site.
- Upload your manuscript as a single file including text, figures, and tables.
- If your manuscript is accepted for publication, Wiley will format your manuscript for you to match the journal’s style.