Find journal Prepare Submission Licensing and Open Access Publication Promote

Understanding copyright and licensing

Copyright licenses detail the rights for publication, distribution, and use of research. Wiley authors must sign a license agreement before publication. Read your chosen journal’s author guidelines for details on the journal’s specific copyright agreement.

For subscription articles

For subscription articles, you will either transfer copyright to Wiley with a Copyright Transfer Agreement (CTA) or grant Wiley an exclusive license to the copyright with an Exclusive License Agreement (ELA). You will receive the appropriate license agreement in the time between acceptance of your article and final publication online.

For more information about CTA and ELA licenses, view Licensing Info & FAQs.

For open access articles

For open access articles, you will sign an Open Access Agreement with a Creative Commons license that allows you to keep the copyright.