Open access agreement for authors at eligible Irish institutions
Publish open access with Wiley
Corresponding authors affiliated with institutions participating in Wiley's IReL agreement may publish open access in any of Wiley's fully gold open access journals or hybrid journals (subscription-based journals which offer an open access option) at no cost to the author.
You can be confident that by choosing open access your work has the best chance to be read, cited and shared. Read more about the advantages of publishing open access here.
Update October 2023:
There are no remaining funds available to publish in Wiley’s fully open access journals as part of the IReL-Wiley agreement for the remainder of this year. Articles submitted to fully open access journals for the rest of 2023 will not be offered IReL-funded open access. Articles that have already been approved for open access funding will not be affected. Publishing in Wiley’s hybrid open access journals (the majority of Wiley journals) will remain available until the end of the year.
Publishing gold open access:
- Complies with funder or institution mandates
- Allows you to retain copyright through a CC BY license
- Enables automatic deposit in PMC (when appropriate)
To be eligible:
- You must be the responsible corresponding authorThe responsible corresponding author is the author who manages the manuscript and correspondence during the publication process - from submission through publication. This author has the authority to act on behalf of all the co-authors and will also be the contact for inquiries after publication. who is affiliated with an eligible IReL member institution
- Your article must be primary research or a review article1
- You must publish open access (in a fully gold open access journal or a hybrid journal that offers open access) by using our workflow as described below
- Eligibility date criteria:
- Fully gold open access journals: Submitted on or after 1 January 2023
- Hybrid journals: Accepted on or after 1 January 2023
- This agreement cannot be used to cover additional charges (e.g. cover, color, and page charges), which individual journals administer separately.
Additional information and questions
Please contact your university or library Open Access team with questions.
To check the open access availability for a specific journal, use our Author Compliance Tool.
1Other article types e.g. letters, editorials etc. are excluded.