Our aim for these guidelines remains to support all those involved in scholarly publishing with a summary of best practice guidance from leading organizations around the world. Our guidelines are written for societies, editors, authors, librarians, students, funders, corporations, and journalists.
Read the aims and scope of Wiley's Best Practice Guidelines on Publishing Ethics as well as information on the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) and the Wiley Ethics Helpdesk.
Read about how the first step to handling ethical problems relating to a journal is to speak with your publisher.
The research integrity section provides an overview of research misconduct, including fabrication, falsification, plagiarism, and duplicate/redundant publication.
This section provides publication policy recommendations for journals to adopt to ensure that ethical and responsible research is published.
Read guidelines for journal editors, including information on handling authorship, peer review, corrections, retractions, and withdrawal of articles.
This section provides guidance on copyright and open access agreements.
This section links to useful information on publication policies and procedures across disciplines.
This section links to COPE flowcharts and sample letters to authors. Login is required for access to sample letters on COPE website.
These guidelines were written by Lisa Deakin, Martine Docking, Chris Graf, Jackie Jones, Tiffany McKerahan, Martin Ottmar, Allen Stevens, Edward Wates, and Deb Wyatt, with additional contributions from Sue Joshua.
• Lisa Deakin, BSc (Hons), Journal Publishing Manager, Employed by Wiley (Oxford, UK)
• Martine Docking, BSc, MCom,Commercial Director, Employed by Wiley, Singapore (Asia Pacific)
• Chris Graf, BSc (Hons), New Business Director, Professional Innovations, Treasurer of COPE, Employed by Wiley (Oxford, UK)
• Jackie Jones, BA (Hons), Executive Editor, Life Sciences, Employed by Wiley (Oxford,UK)
• Sue Joshua, Legal Director, Employed by Wiley (Chichester, UK)
• Tiffany McKerahan, BA, Editor, Life Sciences, Employed by Wiley, Hoboken (New Jersey, USA)
• Martin Ottmar, Dr. Rer. Nat., Deputy Editor, Advanced Materials & Editor-in-Chief, Advanced Energy Materials, Employed by Wiley-VCH (Weinheim, Germany) • Allen Stevens, MA, DPhil, Journal Editorial Director, Health Sciences, Employed by Wiley (Oxford, UK) • Edward Wates, VP & Director, Global Journal Content Management, Employed by Wiley (Oxford, UK) • Deborah Wyatt, BA (Hons), Editorial Director, Employed by Wiley, Richmond (Vic. Australia) We would like to thank everyone who contributed to the first edition of our ethics guidelines, upon which these guidelines are based: Lise Baltzer, Caroline Black, Alyson Bowman, Suzan Fiack, Andrew Robinson, Diane Scott-Lichter, and Elizabeth Wager.