Before your accepted article is published online, it goes through our production process. Wiley does everything possible to publish your article quickly and to the highest possible standard, as well as taking you through what to expect at each stage of the process.
Your publication checklist:
- Provide accurate proofreading and clearly mark any corrections as soon as possible.
- When prompted, ensure you acknowledge any funding support.
- Choose and arrange payment for open access as required.
- Sign a license agreement.
View our article status tracking guide which outlines the essential production steps for your paper, or watch our video:
Step 1: Accepted article received in production
• Your article is received for production to begin.
• You (corresponding authors) receive an email asking you to login or register with Author Services and ensure your article is added to "My Dashboard". At this point, navigate to the "Amend My Details" page and choose whether you wish to:
• Publish your article open access with Wiley’s OnlineOpen option (if the journal is not fully open access).
• Sign a license agreement for your article.
• Track the publication status of your article (request to receive an e-mail alert at any, or all of the tracked stages of production).
• Nominate up to ten colleagues to receive a publication alert and free online access to your article (once published).**
• Link your Author Services account with your ORCiD
• Some journals offer Accepted Article*, where articles are published online immediately after acceptance, before copy-editing. Accepted Article papers are downloadable and citable.
Step 2: Copyediting and typesetting
• We copyedit your article for style, grammar and nomenclature, to bring the standard of the text up to the level that your research deserves.
• We also typeset your article, to make it look great.
Step 3: Proofing and corrections
After copyediting and typesetting the article goes back to you. This is your chance to give your article a last look before we publish.
• A link to article proofs is provided via email.
• Accurately proofread your article and clearly mark any corrections online as soon as possible.
Your corrections are received and then processed.
• If your journal features Early View*, there may be a delay after the corrections are received, before your article appears online.
Step 4: Early View Publication
• Early View* (Online Version of Record) articles are published on Wiley Online Library before inclusion in an issue. You can now view your published article online.
• No further changes to your article are possible from this point.
• Access to the online PDF is considered your e-Offprint or PDF Offprint.
• Your Early View article is fully citable and carries an online publication date and DOI for citations.
• You can now share a ‘read only’ version of your published article with your colleagues (authenticated Wiley subscribers will get full access).*
Step 5: Issue published online
• The issue containing your article is now available online.
• The print publication of your article in an issue may precede or follow this stage.
• You can share a ‘read only’ version of your published article with your colleagues (authenticated Wiley subscribers will get full access).*
Step 6: Access and sharing
When your article is published online:
• You receive an email alert (if requested).
• You can share your published article through social media.
• As the author, you retain free access (after accepting the Terms & Conditions of use, you can view your article).
• The corresponding author and co-authors can nominate up to ten colleagues to receive a publication alert and free online unrestricted access to your article.**
• You can share a ‘read only’ online version of your article with a wider audience (authenticated Wiley subscribers will get full access).*
• You can now order print copies of your article (instructions are sent at proofing stage or use the below contact details).*
USA: Email firstname.lastname@example.org
UK, Europe, Asia and all other territories: Email email@example.com
Now is the time to start promoting your article. Find out how to do that here.
*Only available for certain journals
**Policy varies by journal – check with your editor for details.